Thursday, July 10, 2008

Pizza on the Grill

One of the most common question I am ever asked is, "Do you ever get sick of cooking". The honest answer to that question is NO. I really don't! I do it everyday! All day! My friends think there might be something wrong with me. Is cooking really a daunting task for most?? Well, not me.


For me cooking is a job requirement. Most of my days begin at the store picking up ingredients and props needed for the styling gig or product development task at hand. I am always searching for the perfect specimen. I carefully pick fruit and vegetables, hold each piece up to the light and examine in great length; hue, texture and perfection must all be present. This is just about when the produce guy looks at me the way my friends do and thinks "hmmm......., now that's what they mean by OCD". It's okay, I'm used to it.


When I am not on a shoot most of my work is done from home. I am either developing recipes and products or I am testing a dish for a future shoot. It's a whirlwind of madness, but great fun for onlookers who get to eat the test runs. When my proverbial whistle blows I switch gears and turn my attention to dinner.


It's all about Dinner in my house. It's the precious time I get with my family and usually a few stray teenagers, and is without a doubt my favorite meal to prepare. I never actually plan a dinner -unless it's a special occasion - I always work with what I have on hand, which can be anything depending on the sort of work week I have had.

Take last night for example. It was about 90 degrees and humid so I was really looking to cook outdoors. With a quick survey of the cupboards and the lucky chance of having Fresh Mozzarella balls - the cute little 1/4 oz's - ripe succulent tomatoes, a jar of kalamata olives and heaps of fresh basil in my herb box - in an instant I know exactly what we are having! Grilled Pizza! I run to the store for fresh pizza dough - found in the bakery dept - and pick up some crisp, cold chardonnay for sipping!


Grilled Pizza is very easy to make, the key is be sure all your ingredients - your mise en place - are in place and ready to go!


  • First stretch your dough out as thin as possible without tearing. I separate my dough into two balls for two smaller pizzas vs the one big one.
  • Get your grill nice and hot and scrape off any debris from your last cook out.

  • It is important that your grill be well oiled. An easy way to oil up your grill is by soaking a few folded paper towels in vegetable oil. Using metal tongs grip the oil soaked towels and rub evenly over the entire surface of the hot grill.

  • Carefully, while stretched to it's fullest, lay the dough over oiled grill. Reduce heat to medium high and shut the lid. Cook for 4-5 minutes checking periodically, dough should be browned on bottom and show awesome grill marks, but not charred.
  • Flip the dough over and begin to apply your toppings. Spread out 4 or 5 tablespoons of pizza sauce, a variety of your favorite cheeses and what ever you fancy on top. Shut the lid and cook for another 4-5 minutes, reducing heat if necessary. The bubbling cheese will let you know when it is done. If you like your pizza extra crispy lower the heat and leave it on a little longer.
  • That's it. Easy right? See cooking is fun!