Monday, August 10, 2009

Unleash your inner Farmer

This is me this past May.... Carrying on my own personal legacy. See I have farmer's blood running through my veins. Literally. My maternal grandmother 'Damma' (born Doratha Stone) was born and raised on a family dairy farm. The oldest daughter of 11. Life was simple, hard but simple. Love and aspirations swept her away from the farm, but the little farm girl within lives on.
My young summers were spent with Damma (and Pops) in Sudbury Massachusetts. She shared her spectacular garden with me each year. She went over every square inch of dirt. Making sure I inspected each growing specimen with a keen eye and a gentle hand while she went over each garden beauty, ranging in dozens of varieties from squash to onions to Brussels sprouts, fine tomatoes and hearty lettuce, sweet carrots, peas and peppers. Many plants were started from seed, harvested from the farm - talk about heirloom - it thrilled me - thanks Damma!
With the help of my husband and sometimes interested son, I take the time to capture the thrill of the garden. Here are some luscious results.





Honestly, I don't even know what type of squash this is. I think a stow-away made it into my pack of zucchini seeds!

The harvest is light this year with heavy rains and cool weather. But in time, the garden always produces. I promise a zucchini recipe soon!


This little ornamental gourd will be a sweet addition to my festive fall mantel

Rainbow Swiss Chard is super delicious sauteed like spinach in olive oil with garlic and a tiny swirl of butter at the end. Or simple chop and toss into soups, stews and sauces.

We've come a long way from May!
My Grandmother is unable to garden at 92, but loves to revisit that rich time in her life.
She now cheers me along and consults like a pro.
Unleash YOUR inner Farmer!
CHOW!